Jan 8, 2011

I6L Clothing Challenge: 6 Pieces or Less

Sooooo. Hm. Imagine that your wardrobe is taken away for a month for some sort of inspection and you are only allowed to keep 6 garments other than coats and underwear, having no option for replacing the taken pieces, and these 6 had to last you a month, at least, which would you take?

Hello, mes chers. We are doing it! Oui, les six pieces have been chosen, mostly.  On the previous post, we took inspiration from some superbly stylish women from around world and brainstormed a rough idea of the tiny capsule. It is winter. In New England. And, we have to look mostly professional at work,  be comfortable enough to play with/babysit kids, and attractive enough on the weekends, and put quality to the test by having to do laundry more often. As for laundry, some of us cashmere and silk lovers know to extend life and looks by hand-washing and flat/line drying. The plan is to make use of long underwear to extend life in between laundering and to provide insulation on these snowy days.

Speaking of snowy, mon premier choices were cashmere et soie. Mon silk undershirts have been keeping me, tropical bird that je suis, warm for several North Eastern winters now. They are the detachable lining to most if not all clothes worn per moi for late fall, winter, and early spring... Half the year, almost every day. Excellent secret weapon.



La premier choice was a pretty cashmere cardigan in black from J.Crew, but it has these lovely sequins and bow pattern that everyone will notice by the fourth time it is worn within a month. Comme ca, il n'est pas practical, right? Then the
recently old v-neck cashmere tee came in. It is perfect!

This choice was pretty straightforward. This Vince sweater-dress-cardigan-coat was the purchase of this fall and has been an excellent travel mate. It is comfy enough to fall asleep in and, after lint-brushing, looks great as a dress with tights and boots, It works as an awesome chunky sweater, layered or not, and over pretty much any outfit as a transition piece. It's a chic workhorse.



 The second choice was a fight between my first designer dress bought with my own money (still a top favorite) and this one current favorite dress. They are both neutral colors and can be worn as blouses, skirts, layered under, layered over, and always gather too many compliments but are not outlandish or shiny or vavoom. So they work within outfits, remaining stylish and clearly high-quality. There is, also, the reason why these were acquired in the first place; elles simplement conviennent à mon corps et ma vie. Simply, they suit my body and my life. This one looks more polished for work:



The white shirt is an absolute must. I own about a dozen and each was worth even more than I paid. This one will take the frequent laundering well without much need for ironing or dry cleaning, and it is super soft, so it layers under clothes perfectly, both as a shirt and as a shirt-dress.

The question is with the bottoms. While the dresses and sweater were relatively fast choices, based on practicality, the pants and skirts are the real question.


The recently acquired angora skirt.


The loved and washed to softness, hemmed to the average-height US American female, perfect wide-leg jeans, that have been stored since mon affair with skinny jeans. Skinny jeans will just not do with this challenge because they don't work for my body when shirts are tucked in on them. They would work even less so with dresses worn as shirts. The relaxed wideleg jeans will.


And so will these. These are actually purchased from the men's department, the best quality pants I had (until last year's acquisition of a Dsquared2 pair that is equally well made). Made in Italy with italian wool, on sale because this was the smallest size in men's, and there just are not that many ultra emo-type skinny men in this town. I win. Jackpot. Ma soeur dit that they are skinny old man's pants. Haha. J'aime les pantalons. Ils me convient. Je dit, "jackpot".

So only two of these bottoms can be used. Ah. Decisions...

Bisous,
La Copaine editing the Atelier's Closet

29 comments:

  1. This minimalist project idea is so cool!

    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  2. =) thanks. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these clothes especially the washed jeans...Have I ever told you that I love your blog?? :) THanks for the very itneresting comment on my blog :D

    http://fashiondoesntexist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I don't think I would be able to do that, haha.
    And nah, it's not a crime if you've never heard of net-a-porter ;)
    http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fabulous experiment, and your choices are simply gorgeous. I'm *in love* with your Vince cardigan. It's inspired me to look at the label even more closely than I have been lately! I see you have to choose only two of the three bottoms. My choice would be the angora skirt (beautiful!) and the wide-legged jeans (fun!). I look forward to seeing how this challenge develops, so I'll be following... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats such a tough choice! but your choices are the most basics and will make great simple outfits!
    x
    thatgirlfromhk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ E..
    Thanks! Yes, the jeans are so nice. I think I am leaning toward them.

    @ Closet Fashionista
    I'm in love with the site, so much so that I stopped visiting after spending too much money on it when I was just an intern, Haha. Fun days.

    @ Aesthetic Alterations
    Thanks for the long, insightful comment =). The label is very nice, though you do have to watch out for over-processed cashmere. Some pure cashmere pieces i h have piled quickly. This one does not because it is a sturdier blend. Blends tend to be more durable, but, of course, not as soft.
    I think that your choice is very insightful and I might just go with it since the pantalons are not the most streamlined lately as the pleats can look messy (need a good pressing?).

    @ Larissa
    Yes it is! Yes, these are my personal basics. Shirt dresses, silk dresses and shirts, cashmere dresses and tops, and wool everything haha. It really is good to write this "out-loud". It gives one insight to write down quickly what one's basics are. What are yours?

    ReplyDelete
  8. woooow that's quite a challange! Don't think I'm able to do such thing! like your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  9. estupendo proyecto!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow wow wow what a challenge ! i'm so excited about this ! I love challenge ! If i were you i would choose for sure the skirt and the man's pant ! As for me they're both the best basic clothes for this challenge ! Anyway it's just my opinion, and it conform to my everyday style ! (I apologize for my bad english !) So go go go ! et LONGUE VIE AU MINIMALISME !

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an interseting idea. I think it would be great to determine which pieces in your wardrobe need more wear, however I don't think I could do it. Good luck!

    Stolen Stiletto

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Vince dress/jacket is INCREDIBLE. What a great piece. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so awesome! What a great challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i really want a black sweater just like that one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. simply chic :-)

    LOOK WILLIAM & KATE ON MY BLOG ;-)
    http://wonderfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely pieces! Simple yet stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Kassie
    You are so right! determining your ideal pieces may be a benefit of this project. I am curious to know what other people's ideas pieces are/would be.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great, I personally couldn't pull off a 6 item wardrobe but kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing choices, and well done! The Vince cardigan, the white shirt, and the men's pants are especially terrific. I think I'm going to have to start mooching around Menswear departments myself!

    Can't wait to see what happens next... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw, this was a really good post. Taking the time and actual effort to create
    a great article… buut whaat can I say… I hesitate a lott and
    never seem to get anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent blog you've got here.. It's hard to find hih quality writing like
    yours these days. I honestly appreciate individuals like
    you! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Undeniably believe that that you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be at the net the easiest factor
    to take note of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed even as other folks
    think about issues that they just don't recognize
    about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest
    and also outlined out the whole thing without having
    side effect , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. My family members always say that I am wasting my time
    here at web, however I know I am getting know-how all the
    time by reading such nice content.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Highly descriptive article, I loved that bit. Will there be a part 2?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate!
    He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this post
    to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Howdy I am so grateful I found your blog page, I really
    found you by accident, while I was looking on Askjeeve for
    something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say
    many thanks for a fantastic post and a all
    round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have
    time to look over it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also added
    your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more,
    Please do keep up the superb work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for finally writing about >"I6L Clothing Challenge: 6 Pieces or Less" <Liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Merci.