Mar 18, 2018

Wedding in the City: Growing Your Own Wedding Flowers - Part 1



Last year, we organized our own wedding. That included growing, begging, and borrowing some of our own wedding flowers. I am considering chronicling what went into our experience in this project. Who's coming along?





There were a handful of reasons why I decided to grow at least some of own wedding flowers: 
  1. Our Vision: We envisioned little recycled jars full of lots of cheer-provoking blooms on communal tables. We wanted our wedding to feel very natural, cheerful, and simple. We shared an online board, with my husband adding pictures of mostly herbs and greenery on simple white or cream tablecloths and me contributing backgrounds with poppies and flower crowns.
  2. Ethics: The more I read, the less comfortable I felt in contributing to the imported flower industry. Here and here are some starting points. It seemed better if any flowers we used needed to be local and organically grown.
  3. Availability: After calling and emailing a few places, it seemed like even the best stocked local flower farms would not have sufficient blooms in time for our wedding. 
  4. Feasibility: The literature review and feasibility analysis are very important before determining if and how to embark on a project. I obsessively read books on the topic The library systems and local bookstores were very helpful. Also helpful were academic horticultural publications. Given I use Excel daily for work, I used a similar tool to calculate the number of blooms we needed. From then I briefly calculated resources needed and backwards planned the schedule.
  5. Personal interest: This was helpful with the above-mentioned obsessive reading. There is nothing I have ever felt that compares to the joy of the first bit of green coming up from the soil. Then, there is the wonder of the first true leaves emerging above the cotyledons. The miracle of biology in plant form.  
  6. Challenge: I had never grown cut flowers before. All other plants were specifically grown for food, cosmetic use, healing, or efficiently purifying the air. I have an aunt who had a garden purely for the pleasure of it. I now wish that I had listened more when we walked around her beautiful tropical garden or rare plants.
  7. Bonus: When my cousins and I were children, our grandmother used to only make dessert for us if we planted and harvested the main ingredients. We were in the habit of planting with a purpose. Most of the time, we ate things fresh, right away and we usually made it home, happy, sticky, with pieces of mangoes and cherries in our wild curls, and with no bounty. We would all be placed in a big tub and washed collectively! Lima beans, however, when in season, made it home, and our grandmother would turn them into a glorious dessert, sometimes with dried fruits and tiny cookies on top. 

 
I started planning the flower growing in November, planted the first seeds indoors in December. About this time last year, our indoor jungle was busiest with plantlets.

7 comments:

  1. I like the toy horse in the sand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that is one of the most important information for me.
    And i'm satisfied studying your article. However wanna observation on few basic issues,
    The website taste is wonderful, the articles is in reality nice
    : D. Excellent process, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoah this blog is magnificent i love studying your posts.
    Stay up the good work! You know, many persons are looking around
    for this info, you could aid them greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello There. I found your blog using msn.
    This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark
    it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for
    the post. I'll certainly comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It if truth be told used
    to be a leisure account it. Look complicated to more brought agreeable
    from you! However, how can we communicate?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My partner and I stumbled ver here from a different web page and thought I may as well
    check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you.
    Look forward to finding out about your web page yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it
    was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what
    I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything.

    Do you have any helpful hints for first-time blog writers?
    I'd really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Merci.